• Skip to main content
  • Emergency Contact Number : +595 981373282

FAQs Passport

When should I apply for reissue of my passport?
The passport can be applied for reissue three year before its expiry or when any change of entry is to be made in the existing passport.

Where can I apply for my passport? 
Applications for reissue of passport from Indian nationals resident in Paraguay can be submitted at the Consular section of Embassy of India, Asuncion during consular service hours from 1000 hrs to 1200 hrs from Monday to Friday except holidays.

My passport is expiring and I want to renew it. Where can I find the application form and requirements?
Online NRI passport application form which is available on the website of the Embassy can be used for submitting passport applications (https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/). Dimensions of photographs required for Machine Readable Passports are 5 cm x 5 cm (square shape) with a light/ plain background (two photos). Photos not meeting this specification will not be accepted. Applicant should put his/her signature in Black ink within the box specified on top of the front page of the application form and declaration on the second page should also be signed.

Application forms should be filled in full, legibly (in capital letters), accurately with black/blue ink only and submitted with the passport. Misrepresentation/suppression of facts may result in denial of passport service. Incomplete/incorrect applications, applications with inadequate fee and fee not paid in the prescribed manner (i.e. it should not be in a different currency or by check/credit/debit card) will not be processed.

Should I send the copy of my passport or the original passport?
Duly filled and signed application for reissue of passport along with original passport, copy of passport and copy of valid resident/work permit/cedula along with prescribed photographs with applicable fee need to be submitted.

When will my passport be issued?
The normal processing time is 4 weeks as passports are printed in India and sent to the Embassy by courier.

Can the change of address, addition/deletion of spouse´s name be done at the time of re-issue of passport?
Yes. This is, however, subject to requirements being met for such services.

I have a handwritten passport which is still valid. Do I need to change it?
Yes, all Indian citizens holding handwritten passports are required to apply for reissue of Machine Readable passports as the International Civil Aviation Organization has mandated phasing out of all non-Machine Readable passports.

I have acquired foreign nationality and I am still keeping my Indian passport. Can I have dual nationality?
Indian Citizenship Act does not allow dual citizenship. You need to surrender your Indian passport to the nearest Indian Embassy if you have acquired foreign nationality. Misuse of Indian passport constitutes an offence under Section 12(IA) of the Passports Act 1967.

My passport has expired and I need to travel to India in emergency. What is the facility?
In case of travel to India in an emergency, a one way Emergency Certificate could be issued by the Embassy on request by the applicant for travelling to India. Holder can apply for reissue of passport after reaching India at the concerned Passport Office.

What do I do if I lose my passport?
Loss of passport should be immediately reported to the nearest Police Station and to the Indian Embassy. You can apply for "Re-issue" of passport and submit the required documents along with your passport application form. Required documents are copy of police report, copy of lost passport (if available), two photos (size 5 cm x 5 cm), statement explaining the circumstances of loss of passport, an affidavit in the format as given in the website under passport services, duly completed form and copies of three identity documents like Adhaar card, Election ID card, Office ID card, Driving licence etc. All the copies may be self-attested.

What can I do if I have lost my passport and have to travel to India urgently due to an emergency like serious illness or death in the family?
You need to contact the Indian Embassy to apply for issuance of another Passport. An Emergency Certificate (EC) may also be issued for returning to India after due verifications.

My passport is nearly full but is valid for another 3 years, is it possible to add extra pages?
Additional pages are no longer added to a passport booklet. If the pages in the passport booklet have been used up, you would need to apply for "Re-issue" of passport and submit Online NRI application form. A new passport would be issued to you.

I cannot come to collect my Passport personally, what should I do?
A member of the family or the person authorized by the applicant bearing an authorization letter and original identity paper/document of the bearer can collect the passport on behalf of the applicant.

I recently got married/divorced. How do I change my name on my passport?
To change the name in the passport, you have to apply for a "Re-issue" of passport and get the specified change done in the personal particulars. Submission of additional documents such as divorce decree or marriage certificate etc. may be required.